[Evolution-hackers] Berkeley DB (Ximian ftp) fails to build (?)

Hello,

I am trying to build Evo 1.4.5 from source, to try and fix an annoying
bug (bug 52593) or at least to find out what the bug really is.

It requires Berkeley DB 3.1.17. So I downloaded it from the Ximian FTP
and tried to compile it (with a prefix, from build_unix, according to
Berkeley and Evo instructions).

But when I run evo's configure, it says that the berkeley db header
version is correct, but the library is not found :(

I've looked into the prefixed lib directory, and found one file there,
named libdb.a . Does this mean that the library partially fails to
build?

And anyway, what should I do about it all?

I understand that I  know very little about the GNU compiling/linking
process. I don't pretend to be a real hacker, all I wanted is to try and
research one bug...

Any help would be very appreciated.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik
Moscow, Russia