Re: [Evolution-hackers] Category Searching

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 11:38, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> right, if you've got many calendars, specially 3rd party ones that use
> their own categories names, you'll end up missing some categories if we
> just use a hard-coded list. So I guess it is still worthy to query the
> backend for the list of categories in use, to avoid missing categories,
> or...

I agree. One can avoid the "slow backend" issue here though since the
calendar events are already downloaded, right? Since the calendars are
displayed on your calendar view. With addresses you can have this huge
addressbook on ldap which does indeed have the problem.

Hm, what if we include all categories the user has "seen" - I mean, all
of the "native" evo-supplied ones plus any category that has been seen
in an address card in addition to those? So that Evo would "remember"
any special ones once it has been encountered once..? Is this something
that could work?

The long list issue is something that sucks though, do we need to use
autocompleting combobox-like widget instead of the option menu?
Something like the composer uses for To: -field etc?

> > 3. Make category searching use a user entered string to search with
> > (just like name or summary).
> >
> do this one.

This would be a lot simpler, agreed.

Tuomas

> cheers
Tuomas Kuosmanen :: Art Director, Ximian :: <tigert ximian com>