Re: [Evolution-hackers] Status of mail-refactor-2 branch todo

> I'm not sure if i made it clear, the 'status bar' i was referring to
> here is the abominationational waste of space at the top of the screen.

I see.

According to Anna's design, that just goes on the side of the search bar
now:

	http://primates.ximian.com/~anna/evo2/evo2_buttons_on_top.png

It shouldn't be quite as abominationatinationational in that case.
Also, it has to be implemented in the mail component, and doesn't
require shell work. (Although, you probably want to wait for the
new-ui-branch to be merged before this happens.)

> >       * Come up with a different interface, and possibly a different UI
> >         way of doing it.
>
> I proposed an alternative interface some time ago, which would simplify
> things a bit and reduce some of the overhead.

I can't find it right now, do you have a pointer?

> Different ui could be an option too (although i dont see what else would
> be very practical).

I don't know, for example Apple mail has it at the top, under the
toolbar.  Anyway, it's probably not worth it to try changing this stuff
at this point.

> Well i meant the internal ones, which are all done.  Remember on our
> branch we still have the existing shell stuff.  Adding new (extensible)
> popups in the mailer is now so trivial ...
>
> Do we have to use EStorageSetView at all?

That widget handles the folder tree, drag and drop, and updates when the
folder list changes.  Do you have a better idea?

> > BTW while you are massaging this code, can we make it so it jumps to the
> > first unread message when you first click on the folder?
>
> Shouldn't be too hard.  Gotta be optional though.

Where does the setting go?

> > You just need to provide an EStorageSet for these to work, and I already
> > have the mailer handling that on the branch.
>
> FWIW i'm not really fond of these interfaces, but i guess it'll do.

What's your alternative?

> We have a go to folder option?  Hmm, so we do.
>
> Hmm, would this even make sense with the new layout?  The existing
> functionality is pretty pointless if you have the folder list open
> already, and if the ui will force it to be always open, it makes it even
> less useful?

I don't know, I find myself using the "Go to folder" dialog a lot,
because it lets me pick a folder without having to get focus in the
folder tree first, which either implies a mouse movement or a lot of
tabbing.

Maybe there should just be a key combination to get focus to the folder
list...  But then it needs to be advertised somewhere?  Dunno, my
intention was for it to stay as it is for now although maybe we can do
without it.

-- Ettore