Re: [Evolution-hackers] winmail.dat/TNEF streams

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 15:29, Randall Hand wrote:
> I'm the maintainer of ytnef (http://ytnef.sourceforge.net).  I
> released the ytnef C Library a few days ago, after alot of work and
> testing.
>
> I was wondering if there's any plan to directly support TNEF streams
> inside Evolution?  Right now we have to use procmail and filters and

Larry Ewing had a bonobo component he was playing with at some point,
but i'm not sure how far it got.

> such to do it, and that mangles signatures and such.  It would be nice
> if evolution could directly do this.  I'm happy to work with the

I'm not sure if you'd still be able to maintain signatures, depends I
guess on how it would have to work.

> Evolution developers to implement this functionality, although I have
> no experience with gtk/bonobo or any of this gnome programming stuff.
> Is this a plan for a later 1.4? Or 1.6/2.0?

It wouldn't go into 1.4.

As to how it would be done ... It depends on how it can be made to
work.  If it possible to just take a tnef and form a valid MIME
structure (it needn't be a mime stream, just the parsed in-memory
representaiton) from it, then you dont even need to deal with gtk or
bonobo.  If on the other hand, it needs its own display system too, then
it would probably be best being a bonobo component, and Larry's stuff
might be a starting point, and it can be done completely independently
of our work.