[Evolution-hackers] IDN support for evolution
- From: Suresh Chandrasekharan <Suresh Chandrasekharan Eng Sun COM>
- To: evolution-hackers ximian com
- Cc: sceri-evolution sun com, seteve swales sun com, is Eng Sun COM, henry jia sun com, sophie lapaire sun com
- Subject: [Evolution-hackers] IDN support for evolution
- Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:30:20 -0700 (PDT)
We are planning to provide IDN (International Domain Names) support for
Evolution. With this support Evolution will be able to process non-ASCII
charcaters at domain name, hostname, URI and so on. The effect will be the user
will be able to type in these info in their native language in Evolution.
For this we need to deliver IDN library too along with evolution, or
Evolution should take advantage of the IDN support available in a platform. We
are looking into the second option of hooking onto the already existing platform
support for IDN.
Currently there are many opensource implementations for IDN. We have done an
indepth comparison of IDNKIT 1.0 from JPNIC, IDN SDK 1.0.1 from VeriSign Inc.,
and GNU IDN library 0.2.0. and figured out that IDNKIT 1.0 from JPNIC
which feature BSD Open Source License like license is better of the lot
interms of the interfaces it provide and coding discipline and also future
We are planning to enhance Evolution with support for interfaces for the
Pl provide your feedback for this proposed enhancement for Evolution.
Thanks & Regards,
] [Thread Prev