Re: [Evolution-hackers] Bug #232

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 12:43, Peter Colijn wrote:
On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 09:41, Randall Hand wrote:
> Well, it's doesn't handle *all* MAPI properties, but it does support
> for external programs to read them and do with them as they wish,
> using the same GUID+id syntax you mentioned.

Ok, cool.

> ytnef is mostly designed to take a tnef stream (winmail.dat), and
> strip out allthe attachments.  This includes all calendar entries,
> contact cards, and tasks, which are saved as vCal/vCard entries
> (plaintext).

So does ytnef get vCals/vCards as attachments out of the TNEF, or does
it build vCals/vCards from all the MAPI properties (eg. using "Common
Start" and "Common End" as DTSTART and DTEND)?
I don't know the "Name" of the fields, but yes it builds RFC complaint vCal/vCard files from the MAPI Properties.  There's half a dozen different start and end fields, alot of which I dno't fully understand because they seem to be identical (redundancy I guess).  I do take the individual occurance fields, since I don't have recurrances.  Recurrances show up as a single entry.

> But using the library, you can save these entries as anything you
> want, it's just a long list of queries for certain ID's.  The 2 main
> things that it does not support right now is Compressed RTF and
> Recurring calendar entries.  But I use it for all my tnef streams
> (procmail script to automatically process email) and haven't found a
> stream that broke it yet :)

WvTnef does support recurring calendar entries (and exceptions). MAPI ID
0x8216 is LOTS of fun, let me tell you =) It also has the fun property
that if don't repack that binary field *perfectly*, Outlook will crash
when you try to import the object into the calendar.
Sounds like you've gotten alot further with it than I have :)  Care to talk some more about this offline?  I would love to integrate compressed RTF into ytnef.  I don't care about recompressing it (at least not yet any way, alot of people keep asking me to look into building TNEF's), just extracting the contents for conversion & addition into the summary and description fields.

In any case, maybe if WvTnef isn't suitable to go in Evolution as it is,
when it's released some of the stuff from WvTnef could maybe be merged
into ytnef... Although I know very little about licensing issues. WvTnef
will be LGPL and I guess ytnef is GPL?
Yep, ytnef is GPL but alot of people keep asking me to go BSD with it so they can use it.  My only problem with getting away from GPL is I don't exactly get warm fuzzies from people taking my 6+ months of work and making oodles of $$ from it while I see nothing for that time (which I took alot of heat for from my wife & boss :) ).

Have fun,

Peter

Randall E. Hand
Senior Software Engineer
Z-KAT, Inc.
2901 Simms Street
Hollywood, FL 33020
Office 954.927.2044 x125
fax 954.927.0446
www.z-kat.com
"the digital surgery companytm"

Digital signature stored at www.keyserver.net
ID: 0xDD4B4C4A
Fingerprint: F0A7 3E89 BD49 FDEB CCE4  2FB1 DC9D 83E1 DD4B 4C4A

Attention: The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply E-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.