Re: [Evolution-hackers] db3 and db4

On Mër , 2003-11-19 at 05:23, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Hmm, as a distro packager, I really don't like seeing whole bunch of
> external code being integrated that way in modules.

As a packager who has to deal with all the distros that do everything
differently from one another, the idea of importing db makes me feel
better about being able to make stuff just work, and not deal with
having to ship all the build dependencies as well.

However, you still make a very interesting underlying point. If the file
format can be upgraded, and the VCF flat-file backend in the addressbook
ends up being stable enough, soon enough, we can just link to the system
db4 dynamically, and upgrade the db addressbook file to a temporary file
so that we don't break older copies of evolution, and shove all the
entries into the VCF backend. This means we can just upgrade to the new
backend once, and forget about db forever more, since we only need to be
backward compatible, not forward. So, adding new entries with the newer
evo won't show up in the older versions. And then, when 2.0 is finally
released, we can up the upgrade version, and sync up again, to pull in
addresses that were added by an older evolution during the 1.5 cycle.
And after the 2.0 cycle, we can probably just drop the db dependency all
the way, since everything would be moved to the vcf backend by that
point.

-- dobey