RE: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution on RH8.0

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 15:48, Rik Guyler wrote:
> Mark, thanks for the reply.
>
> I ran "rpm -qf evolution" and the response was that evolution was not
> owned by any RPM.

No, by "it" I mean libdb.so.2, not evolution. "rpm -qf
/path/to/libdb.so.2" (I don't know what the /path/to is)

"rpm -qf evolution" will ask what package owns ./evolution, and if
you're in ~, it will check ~/evolution, which is never in package
management.  Doesn't tell us anything.

> As for install location, I used Red Carpet to install it, which put
> the files in the default location(s).  When I run "locate evolution" I
> find files installed in several locations so I don't know how to
> really answer the question of "where?".  I did add the path to the
> library (I assume that's the directory you were talking about?) to the
> /etc/ld.so.conf file but it didn't help.

I'm asking about libdb.so.2, in case you have it installed someplace odd
from some unusual package.  Which directory is libdb.so.2 in, and is
that directory (if it's something other than /usr/lib or /lib or
/usr/local/lib) in /etc/ld.so.conf?

> I don't know enough about the libraries so I'll trust your judgement.
> Besides, I don't know if the package provided the library or
> not...just that the library is referenced in the error message:

Well, that's what rpm -qf is for.

> "evolution: error while loading shared libraries: libdb.so.2: cannot
> open shared object file: No such file or directory"
>
> I do have gnome-libs 1.4.1.7 installed.

That may be the problem.  You upgraded from Red Hat 7.3 with Ximian
Desktop to Red Hat 8.0?

> So, any more suggestion?  I'm at a loss here...

You may be better off reverting to gnome-libs-1.4.1.2, i.e. the version
that Red Hat shipped with Red Hat 8.0.  Grab it off the install media
and install it with "rpm -Uvh --oldpackage
gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-22.i386.rpm"

> Thanks again,
>
> Rik

-Mark Gordon