Re: [Evolution-hackers] camel & imap & multiple servers

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 05:32:58PM -0800, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> I'm getting a lot of dialogue boxes about "server unexpectedly
> disconnected" when running evolution with imap message store.  This
> seems to happen when another imap client connects and causes the server
> to drop the connection.  I think I have about 4 different computers that
> might be connecting to the same imap store.  Evolution needs to handle
> this (normal) situation gracefully.  Mozilla does and has for a long
> time.

we are aware of the problem...

> I took a look at the code and see that it throws up an exception instead
> of trying to reconnect.  I also see that somone is really unhappy with
> the state of camel_imap_store_readline wrt this issue.  Can someone get
> me up-to-speed on the thinking behind this (e.g., it's fixed in the new
> release, we have no idea how to fix this, etc)?

the only way to fix this is to completely rewrite the imap module which
we plan to do as soon as we get enough time. hopefully we will get the
chance to do this for the 1.6 development cycle. someone has recently
volunteered to take on this rewrite a week or two ago (you might want to
read evolution@ archives in addition to evolution-hackers@ archives to
figure out who it was).

> I'd be happy to spend
> some time fixing this problem as I would really like to use evolution
> over mozilla b/c of the calendering capability.  I'm also interested in
> general why imap is so much slower with evo than with mozilla,
> especially when checking for new mail.

different abstractions? I dunno. depends on what slownesses you are
talking about.

Jeff