Re: [Evolution-hackers] User directory layout for 2.0

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:48:10PM -0400, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> Here are my thoughts on how to organize Evolution's data in 2.0.
>
> First of all, we need to move the root directory to a hidden place;
> so instead of storing everything under ~/evolution we should store
> everything under ~/.evolution.  (Yeah, finally. :-))
>
> While we are at it, we could clean up the structure a little bit;
> there are a bunch of files that are currently in the toplevel
> ~/evolution but should probaly go into component-specific directories
> instead.  (Since we need to touch all the paths in the code anyways,
> it's not going to be much extra work.)
>
> We could have something like this:
>
> 	$HOME
> 		.evolution
> 			shell
> 			mail
> 				local
> 				config
> 					filters.xml
> 					vfolders.xml
> 					meta
> 				cache
> 					http
> 					imap
> 					pop
> 				signatures
> 				certs
> 			calendar
> 				local
> 				config
> 				cache
> 			addressbook
> 				local
> 				config
> 				cache

 I'd propose to move all 'cache' directories to the  separate directory, e.g.
    ~/.evolution/caches/{mail,calendar,addressbook}

 This will make backups and account cloning and other stuff A LOT easier
(since nobody will have to write scripts to not backup 'cache' suibdirs inside
~/.evolution).

 Ideally I'd move all really secret data like passwords and probably certs
to separate directory as well - so that it would be possible to make that
directory a simlink to encrypted filesystem or removable filesystem (some
kind of USB flash). A lot of users who care about privacy of their data even
in case attcker has physicall access to hard disk will find this separation
extremely useful.

 Following paranoid route, it would be very nice to move all 'config'
directories or files to a separate directory as well to - so that admin
could make it a simlink to a readonly directory, so that users won't be able
to change configuration of basic things.
--
 Best regards,
  -Vlad