Re: [Evolution-hackers] Spam filtering thoughts

At 08 August, 2003 Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> I think we need to have some built-in anti-spam functionality in Evo
> 2.0.

Yes! I can hardly use any mailer without this feature this days. I have configured filter for evolution but it is a suboptimal workaround.

> For the actual spam detection, I think we should just use Spamassassin.
> It works great, is actively maintained, and is very simple to interface
> to.  It also does a great job without any training, although it does
> support Bayesan filtering.

I don't think spamassasin is the best solution. It is slow and I don't think it "just works". When I used spamassasin with evoluiton a lot of spam got passed the filter. I then tried bogofilter which is just a bayesian filter and got better results when I had fed it the same ammount of mails as I did with spam assasin.
It is also faster then spamassasin since it is just a bayesian filter. I hope you make the solution pluggable, that way people who like spamassasin might use that and I can have it my way.

//Snaggen, likes bogofilter better than spamassasin