Re: [evince] dvi text select and mouse-dvi alignment

On 10/25/19 3:03 AM, Mike Marchywka via evince-list wrote:
1) The code I found looked like an error, the y-coord was apparently
shifted with border.right which sounds incorrect vs say border.top .
2) On the first page without scrolling the above y seems to work ok.
3) With scrolling, the text and mouse seemed to drift at about a 3-4 percent
rate hence the nice kluge. I wanted typeset the document as a single ( long )
page and aside from the obvious hazards of such a drift this becomes
a huge problem here. If this is some kind of fp round off or other known
problem it would be nice to fix- alternatively I can track it down as I wanted
to look at the coords anyway although hopefully mich later.
4) The use of the view->scale in the empircally working code does not seem
consistent, it has a value around
1.2 whcn I looked, and misuse should be an obvious problem
even on a normal page.

Was text select disabled on dvi for a reason or am I working with
very old code, apparently by source download is labelled
as evince-3.18.2.

Version 3.18.2 is from 2015. The newest version is 3.34.1. See https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince/Downloads for links to the official downloads.

As far as I know, the dvi backend has never supported the text interfaces. Only the PDF and DjVu backends currently support it.

There very well may be a bug in evince, though since text selection is working fairly well with PDF documents, if there is a bug, it might be limited to only the DVI backend.