[evince] rendering of large pdfs very slow

Hi,

I am trying to look at large pdfs (40MB - 300MB) on Ubuntu 18.04, evince
version 3.28.4. The rendering is really slow, to the point that it
becomes impossible to view the pdfs. On my old and much slower machine,
running ubuntu 14.04 and evince 3.10.3, the 40MB pdfs load instantly.
The largest ones take a while but are readable after a few seconds.

Is this a problem with my computer, the settings that I'm using with
evince or evince itself? Have you noticed anything similar? A quick
google search came up with a few people having similar issues but there
weren't many.

Hope you can help.

Cheers,
Jens