Re: [evince] Suggestions for improving Evince

On Wed, 2017-02-22 at 16:46 +0100, Luiz E.M. Cardoso wrote:

[...]
(1) I often use a large monitor (>=28"), and I like to have
applications opening at a fixed position and geometry (shape) in the
Gnome desktop. Some applications automatically retain this
information in full, such as LibreOffice downloaded from
libreoffice.org. Other applications retain only part of this
information, such as the Gnome file manager, or Nautilus, which
retains only screen size and shape, but not the position. And there
are applications that do not retain any information, such as such as
Evince. It seems thus that the capability to memorize window
position/geometry is randomly assigned to applications. Under KDE, it
is possible to "force" applications to open at a specified position
on the desktop and with a specified shape and size, so that when you
open the applications you use more frequently, they are all in the
position and geometry (shape/size) that is best suited for the way
you work. But unfortunately, this configurability is not universally
available in
  Gnome. In the case of Evince, whenever I click on a different PDF
file, it opens at a different position and with a different window
shape/size. Thus, I have to make the appropriate manual changes so
that I can have the Evince window, with the article I want to read,
and the window of LibreOffice, with the manuscript I am writing,
positioned side by side, which is very practical. Yet having to make
these manual adjustments for every PDF file is somewhat annoying,
because when I (or any other scientist) am writing a scientific text,
I have to consult several PDF articles. So it would be very helpful
if Evince could memorize window position and geometry (shape and
size), either automatically or through a configuration option (either
in Evince itself or in dconf Editor). Even more helpful would be if
this functionality were globally available for all applications in
Gnome desktop, as for example, in the Tweak Tool.

Evince "remembers" the window size, status, shape, etc. per document,
and it adds the metadata through gvfs.

For example, I can query some metadata of a document I just opened with
Evince:

$ gvfs-info dissertation-gpoo-submitted.pdf | grep evince
  metadata::evince::continuous: 1
  metadata::evince::dual-page: 0
  metadata::evince::dual-page-odd-left: 0
  metadata::evince::fullscreen: 0
  metadata::evince::inverted-colors: 0
  metadata::evince::page: 0
  metadata::evince::sidebar_page: thumbnails
  metadata::evince::sidebar_size: 270
  metadata::evince::sidebar_visibility: 0
  metadata::evince::sizing_mode: fit-width
  metadata::evince::window_height: 1105
  metadata::evince::window_maximized: 0
  metadata::evince::window_width: 1376
  metadata::evince::window_x: 19
  metadata::evince::window_y: 4
  metadata::evince::zoom: 2.3854310413329274

Newer Evince should try to open a fist opened document using the
maximum height available.

That said, if you want every document were opened with a particular
setting, then open a document with the window size you want, and then
select the menu "Save Current Setting as Default".

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/