Re: [evince] problem with patch for open new window option (bug 688636)

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 10:31:23AM -0700, Joseph Maher via evince-list wrote:
I have made a failed attempt to port the patch for bug 688636 to the current
version of evince in debian stable (stretch) which is 3.22.1. The patch
attempts to add a command line option to evince, so that it opens the pdf in
a new window, even if it is currently open.  I've attached the patch below,
and it compiles, but when I run the binary I get:

(evince:8028): EvinceDocument-WARNING **: Error opening directory
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/evince/4/backends': No such file or directory

So possibly this is some build problem not directly related to the patch?

Yes, this looks like a build issue.  That path is where Debian installs
evince's backends so it looks like you don't have evince correctly
installed.  And I don't believe that evince is capable of running
correctly when it is not installed.  When I'm testing evince I'll
install it to someplace like ~/jhbuild/install first.