[evince] building and running evince from checkout dir

Hi,

I am trying to build and run Evince on Ubuntu using these steps:
./autogen.sh --disable-nautilus
make

This seems to work, I get no error messages, and it produces the file ~/evince-git/shell/evince
When I try to execute that file I get an error message:
(lt-evince:21007): EvinceDocument-WARNING **: Error opening directory '/usr/local/lib/evince/4/backends': No such file or directory

I was wondering if it should be possible to run evince from the directory I built it in or if I have to install it in order to run it. How do I run it if  I can do that?

Make output is here: http://pastebin.com/yXyf7wcx  if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks,
Paul