Re: [evince] evinced daemon

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM, sivmu <sivmu web de> wrote:
When evince is executed, an additional process (evinced) is started via
dbus.

This makes it quite difficult to jail evince in applications like
firejail, since the evinced process is started not as a child but as its
own process outside of the jail.
I think that you can modify evinced to start different evince instances in a jail. That's actually some kind of thing we should investigate further.

Although this is not an issue for evince on its own, I would like to
know why evince behaves like this.
>From experiments I found out that if I remove the evince.service file or
block access to the dbus socket, evince still seems to works as expected
without evinced. Another way to prevent this seems to be to use the
--disable-dbus flag.

The difference and the reason why evinced exists is because Evince is using different processes for different Documents. That is, if you have
four documents opened in evince, then you'd have four evince processes + the evinced process. The Evinced process is there to coordinate between the different evince processes. Of course this is not necessary, it was a decision taken a long time ago, but last time we discussed this feature we were happy about it. That being said, there is always the question of add sandboxing to evince since we are dealing with pdf and there are a lot of security bugs involving pdf files. So any help in this direction would be welcomed.

Greetings,

José

Please explain why evince uses a daemon process and what exactly evinced
does.

Thank you