[evince] "Highlight line" API/feature in evince?

Hi all.

I have a requirement, where I need to have PDF documents being navigated line by line (we may assume the PDFs to be text-only).

As I run evince on Fedora-17, I see that there is a "search and highlight" feature.
I was just wondering if there exists an API, using which we may navigate a PDF, highlighting one line at a time?

I intend to this via python-bindings (GTK3-ones), so I just wished to know if there already exists an API for "highlighting-next-line" (or something similar), before I dive into the code.

I will be grateful for any pointers in this regard :)

Regards,
Ajay