Re: [evince] Building libevince as a static library

Hi Richard,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Richard Shann <richard shann virgin net> wrote:
Hi, Hib

Since your helpful email I have been driven back from my attempt to link
the pdf backend statically into the evince widget - the poppler code
depends on too many libraries for me to get to the bottom of.

Before I give up altogether I thought I should try the .dll route again.
From a different build of evince I have a libpdfdocument.dll built and I
tried placing it in the location that evince reported it was searching
for it. But I got the following pair of error messages:

(denemo.exe:2248): EvinceDocument-WARNING **: `D:\lib\evince\3\backends\libpdfdocument.dll': The specified
module could not be found.
(denemo.exe:2248): EvinceDocument-WARNING **: Cannot load backend
'pdfdocument' since file 'D:\lib\evince\3\backends\lib pdfdocument.dll'
cannot be read.

The file exists at the location specified, and as I understand it there
are no permissions on a windows file system that would prevent the file
being read.

Strange. Where is your executable located? I think that when your
executable is in
D:\some\path\bin\denemo.exe, then pdfdocument.dll should be in
D:\some\path\lib\evince\3\backeds\libpdfdocument.dll.

I wonder if you or anyone else knows what is going on here, and if there
is out there some build of the evince library with pdf backend support
that we can use/follow.

You can take a look at the Evince for Windows application,
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/evince/2.32/evince-2.32.0.145.msi

(when you run the installer, choose 'Advanced'; it will allow you to
specify the folder to install in so that you can take a look at the
files in that folder).

Regards,

Hib