[evince] Printing using libevince

Does anyone know about printing using the libevince widget?
I use this code
  EvDocument *doc = ev_document_factory_get_document (uri, &err);
  EvDocumentModel  *model = ev_document_model_new_with_document(doc);
  ev_view_set_model(ev_view, model);
  EvPrintOperation *printop = ev_print_operation_new (doc);
  ev_print_operation_run (printop, gtk_widget_get_toplevel(ev_view));
which calls gtk_print_operation_run() ok (which pops up the printer
dialog, listing my printer) but nothing prints, not even output to file
- no error messages, nothing.

The full code (checking the GError value) is at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=blob;f=src/print.c;h=301c28e64d8c9643ea4b2448c4176846b93bb110;hb=master
under the function printview_finished() - it is part of GNU/Denemo. I
have posted the relevant bit at http://pastebin.com/yh6ANdf9
Any help would be much appreciated - I have played about with EvPrintJob
too, but that seems to be a lower level interface.

Richard