Re: [evince] Resume viewing at last viewed location

Excerpts from Corey Richardson's message of mar ago 09 09:27:21 +0200 2011:

> Hello,
>
> One thing that just drives me nuts about evince is that when you open a
> file, it starts at the beginning. This should only happen the first time
> you open the file, at least in my perfect world. I'm willing to
> implement it myself but the source tree is very intimidating. What I was
> thinking looks kinda like this:

That feature is implemented in evince since the first versions, so it
seems it's not working for you. What evince version are you using?
Newer versions use gio metadata to store per document settings,
including the page number, so make sure you have gvfs installed.

> You open a file, say ldd3.pdf. Evince looks in
> ~/.gnome2/evince/saved_locations to see if there is an entry for
> ldd3.pdf. If there is not, the document is opened at the beginning. If
> there *is* an entry, evince goes ahead and scrolls to that location (or
> whatever else there is to implement it). When you close evince, the
> location is saved to that file.
>
> I'm not set on that location for storage, I don't use gnome (just parts
> of it), and that was the directory I found on my box that stored evince
> settings. I thought about storing the whole path to the file, but I
> often move documents around, and the name usually remains
> constant. Another possibility is using a hash of the document as the key
> instead of the name, which seems like a better option to me. I've been
> browsing around the bugzilla looking for stuff related, but didn't find
> much. I see references to a feature like this but nothing substantial.
>
> Whether or not you people take it into main I'll be writing it for my own use,
> so what I really want to know is
>
> 1. What do you guys recommend for the key-value store's location and what
>    should I use as the key -- path, name, or hash?
> 2. Where should I start looking to implement this feature?
> 3. Do you (the maintainers) want this pushed back? If so I'll gladly open
>    a bug report with my (eventual) patches.
>
> Thank you for your time, and for a great program

Thanks,
--
Carlos Garcia Campos
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x523E6462