Re: [evince] possible bug in evince

Marek Rybaczuk schreef op di 30-11-2010 om 12:39 [+0100]:
> Dear Sirs,
> I have noticed strange behaviour of evince in displaying Greek letter
> capital gamma. This is not critical but surprising. I am enclosing two
> images presenting the way of displaying the same file cosik.dvi. It
> follows from processing cosik.tex under LaTeX. The file evince.png
> presents application of evince, the file xdvi.png presents application
> of xdvi. The sources cosik.tex, cosik.log and cosik.dvi are also
> attached.

Hi Marek,

This is probably not a Poppler/Evince issue.

I noticed the following when looking into your problem:

      * Both pdfLaTeX and XeLaTeX produce a PDF with the correct capital
        gamma. To see for yourself, just run "pdflatex cosik.tex" and
        "xelatex cosik.tex".

      * By running LaTeX (using "latex cosik.tex") and viewing the
        resulting DVI file in Evince I can reproduce the problem with
        the capital Gamma.

      * The .tex file loads many seemingly unused packages. I hunt the
        problem down to the the "txfont" package. Removing that one and
        running "latex cosik.tex" makes the gamma appear in the DVI
        file.

So, it seems the "txfonts" package has problems when used with the LaTeX
command. You can try to debug the txfonts package - I cannot be of any
help with that - or simply use pdfLaTeX or XeLaTeX instead, both of
which are more modern LaTeX engines. Especially XeLaTeX has very nice
font support when using the fontspec package.

    — Wouter