Saving print settings is annoying

Hi all,

I just printed another document in evince and got it 2up because the
last document I'd printed was 2up. This is really annoying. I've
submitted a patch for this before, but we didn't really agree on what
the proper behaviour should be.

I know that just because last time I printed something 2up, I don't
necessarily want to print it 2up again. (This seems to persist across
documents, which is definitely wrong. It's also probably wrong to
persist it on a per-document basis.)

I also believe that it's impossible to change the print settings
unless you print something. That can't quite be good UI design.

Perhaps there should be a way to edit the default print settings and
push a button to persist the defaults. In any case, I don't think that
choosing some setting on a particular job should ever cause that
setting to persist automatically and apply to future jobs.

pat