Symbol font encoding problem

Hi,

I see Symbol font encoding errors in numerous pdfs rendered by evince. An example is page 16 of scba004c.pdf available at
focus.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/an/scba004c/scba004c.pdf.
Attached is a low-resolution screenshot of acrobat and evince rendering page 16. Aside from the scaling differences, in evince the "mu" is rendered as "proportional". Some notes:

1. If I copy the "proportional" character from evince to the clipboard and then to emacs, it renders in emacs as "mu"

2. My /usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-urw-aliases.conf has:
        <match target="pattern">
          <test name="family">
            <string>Symbol</string>
          </test>
          <edit name="family" mode="append" binding="same">
            <string>Standard Symbols L</string>
          </edit>
        </match>

3. In gfontview, if I look at the font "Standard Symbol L" from
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts
  - with encoding "Default", mu is code 109 and proportional is code 181
  - with encoding "ISO Latin 1" mu is code 181.

4. I am using FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE with the following ports:
  - evince-2.30.1_1
  - fontconfig-2.8.0,1
  - poppler-0.12.4
  - pango-1.28.0_1
  - cairo-1.8.10_1,1
  - xorg-7.5

This may be an FAQ or a problem with fontconfig, poppler or pango, I couldn't find it by googling. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Robert Jenssen