Re: Read out loud functionality for evince

Max,
Would something like 'festival' in conjunction with a 'pdftotext'  command be a start point?

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 12:17 +0200, Max Nicosia wrote:
Hello there,

I am a Comp Sci student (St Andrews, UK) helping out in a project (at DTU, Denmark), that aims at making computers more accessible to blind people.

They are particularly interested in making PDF documents more accessible to blind people, so I have been asked to focus on this.

From trying different PDF readers from the repositories, I believe the kind of functionality they are after has not yet been implemented. As such I would like to know if you know of anyone that is already working towards this for evince (so I can contribute) or if if I would need to start from scratch.

DTU is interested in getting this functionality working for any PDF reader and in the shortest amount of time, so I have also contacted Okular's development team.
I haven't looked at either implementation yet, but as there are some time constraints I will most likely contribute to whichever would take less time.

Could anyone please give me some feedback so I can move onto the next stage?

Thanks a lot
Max