Re: Evince

--- El lun, 9/8/10, ali . <ametedinov gmail com> escribió:

De: ali . <ametedinov gmail com>
Asunto: Evince
Para: evince-list gnome org
Fecha: lunes, 9 de agosto, 2010 07:14

Hello all
We are an enthusiastic group of students from Lehigh University and we will soon be establishing an organization that will promote OSS in a variety of ways, locally and around the world. One of the largest projects we plan to do is to change the World Wide Web. MOST if not ALL webpages (containing links to PDF files)  that the average user visits have a sentence of the sort:

"Files below are released in Portable Document Format (PDF) and REQUIRE Adobe Reader."   or  "To open the files you NEED Adobe Reader".

The goal of super huge project that I am talking about here, is to contact tens of thousands of companies, government agencies, universities, schools, you name it... and encourage them to stop saying that the user NEEDS to install ADOBE READER, or that the files REQUIRE ADOBE READER, or so on;  and instead say something of the sort:

"To open the files you need a PDF reader such as ......"

And there "..." instead of Adobe Reader (or in addition to Adobe Reader), they should say an alternative OPEN SOURCE pdf reader.

The reason I am sending you this e-mail is to ask whether or not we can suggest Evince as the Open Source pdf reader. Keep in mind that we will be contacting thousands of companies so the product we suggest must be stable and reliable and the users should enjoy using it. So do you thing Evince fits those categories? I know that not too long ago there was a very very annoying bug with selecting text, especially in two columns. Have you fixed that bug? If you still haven't fixed it, what is the maximum amount of time it will take you to fix it?

If you believe that Evince is not ready yet, then which open source pdf reader would you recommend?
Hi,

I think that Evince is ready for the most common use cases and it is improving in many fronts. The column selection is improved with the a11y patches, though I think it is better to evaluate for yourselft to state it if is ready or not.

I think maybe It is a good idea to support the FSFE campain for free PDF readers that it is in the same direction that your proposal.

http://pdfreaders.org/

Cheers,

   -- Juanjo Marin