Re: Evince in C

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 21:51 -0400, Vijay Ganesh wrote:
> Dear Evince Developers,
>
> Thanks for writing and maintaining Evince.
>
> I am currently researching and developing a (semi)-automated bug finding tool. I
> would like to apply it to Evince. We have applied it to an open source Flash
> movie player called Swfdec. So far we have found 6 interesting bugs, and
> reported some of them back to its authors. We did this with about 1 man-month
> effort.
>
> However, my bug-finding tool has the limitation that it accepts only C programs.
> From the Wikipedia entry on Evince, I understand that a small portion of Evince
> in written in C++. I was wondering if there exists a purely C version of
> Evince, or if a pure C-version is even possible given its library dependencies?
>
> Is there any other pdf viewer (or document viewer) that is written purely in the
> C language?

I am not a developer, just an list-observer, so I am afraid I am not
providing answers asked us.

Few points:

     1. Could you point us to the mentioned tool?
     2. I dunno what kind of bugs is your tool able to find but from my
        POV most security problems in the past came from old xpdf code
        and now from poppler lib. If you care in this area, probable
        focus there.
     3. How to get current Evince code is to be found here:
        http://live.gnome.org/Evince/GettingEvince

[root dhcp-lab-192 SPECS]# sloccount /tmp/evince-2.23.4/
<...>
SLOC	Directory	SLOC-by-Language (Sorted)
21679   backend         ansic=19672,cpp=2007
21312   shell           ansic=21312
9125    top_dir         sh=9125
5861    cut-n-paste     ansic=5861
5273    libdocument     ansic=5273
520     properties      ansic=520
156     thumbnailer     ansic=156
53      test            python=53
0       data            (none)
0       help            (none)
0       po              (none)

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
ansic:        52794 (82.52%)
sh:            9125 (14.26%)
cpp:           2007 (3.14%)
python:          53 (0.08%)

(Generated using David A. Wheeler's 'SLOCCount'.)

 4. The best way how to find out you how your tool interacts with
    Evince's code, actually, is to try it :).

Good luck.

Michal

--
Michal Nowak <newman x gmail com>