status of the annotations

I read in the gnome 2.22 roadmap that evince should integrate the annotations work from GSoc 2007. From the last time I tried trunk, this feature does not yet seem to be available, so here are a couple questions:
1- is this still planned and undergoing love?
2- will it allow the user to annotate ANY PDF file?*
3- is there a feature/bug report I can cling to, or a special branch that I could help test? (disclaimer: I am running gnome 2.20)

*: I believe that it would make no sense respecting the annotations permission (DRM) that is present in certain files, for three reasons:
1- First because it hides the nice evince feature
2- second because the user would go flip the gconf key /apps/evince/override_restrictions anyway
3- and third because 99% of all PDF documents I have come across don't have those "allow comments" rights in the first place -- not because the author (ex: teachers) don't want the students to be able to add notes, but because he is not able to actually enable them! Even I, using OpenOffice, have never been able to create a PDF document that allows comments.

Annotation is the killer feature that I (and other student friends) have been waiting for, for a long time! Please keep up the awesome work, I am certainly not alone to sorely need this!