Re: What is evince?

Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> >From the evince page:
>
> "The goal of evince is to replace the multiple document viewers that
> exist on the GNOME Desktop with a single simple application."
>
> I thought that choosing the right application is the purpose of the MIME
> mechanism. So why introduce another concept?

Why do you think that it is a different concept? Evince aims to be the
right application for several related MIME types (read-only documents,
typically with a focus on printing).

It's sort of like the way The GIMP can be used to open a lot of
different image formats, or the way OpenOffice.org can import/export a
lot of different office file formats.

I really do not think it would be a good idea to replace e.g. The GIMP
with independently developed alternatives for each different format. It
would also make it harder for the users, having to learn how to use a
new image manipulation program each time they wanted to edit a new image
format.

Stefan