Re: Printing in evince 2.20.1 + FC8

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 11:26 -0600, Gideon Alon wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using evince, 2.20.1 on FC8 with kernel 2.6.23.1-49.fc8 and
> poppler 0.6.
> I can print PS , but apparently can't print pdf files although I can
> watch them perfectly.
> When I send the job, the printer (HP laserJet 4050) shows 'Processing
> Job' but nothing gets printed.
> Any ideas? Also, any other other information I should provide to help
> debug this?

On our CUPS server, we have 3 main drivers for the 4050. One is a CUPS
+Ghostscript, on is an hpijs, and one is a CUPS+gutenprint. While I seem
to get better quality on any printer that has a gutenprint driver, I
don't get particularly good compatibility, especially with Windows
clients printing to the server. The only rock-solid setup for us is the
CUPS+Ghostscript combo. What driver are you using?

If you want to provide more info, crank up the CUPS warning level to
debugging, restart the CUPS server, and then print to it and fetch the
logs.

For a workaround ( dodgy, but works ), print to a Postscript file from
evince, and then open this file ( also in evince ) and print it.

Finally, you might want to check if your driver has on option for memory
in the printer. Maybe you're feeding the printer more data than it can
handle - in this case, try lowering the memory in the CUPS printer
config thingy.

Dan