Re: Evince is not initializing

At 04:06 16/1/2007, you wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 15:16 +0000, Valdenir de Souza Junior wrote:
> At 00:38 13/1/2007 -0300, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 00:56 +0000, Valdenir de Souza Junior wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear list members,
> > >
> > > I'm using Evince under KDE 3.5.5 and Kurumin Linux, a distribution
> > based on
> > > Debian. Lately Evince simply doesn't start under my user session. Using
> > > another user login, I can start it, without any problem.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have a guess? I suppose that the problem is with my user
> > > configuration files. In this case, could anyone tell me the configuration
> > > files I should delete or substitute?
> >
> >Can you give more details (like the evince version)? If you run evince
> >from a terminal, you see any output?, o evince ust segfault?
> >
> >An also would help.
> >
> >bye
> >--
> >Ricardo Markiewicz // http://www.fi.uba.ar/~rmarkie/
>

> Thanks for your message, Ricardo.
>
> The Evince version which I have installed is 0.4.0. If I try to run Evince
> from a terminal, I get the following messages:
>
> ** (evince:3658): WARNING **: Error in parse: Erro na linha 14: Caractere
> '%' não é válido no início do nome da entidade; o caractere & inicia uma
> entidade; se este 'e' comercial não é suposto ser uma entidade, escape-o
> como &
>
> ** (evince:3658): WARNING **: Erro na linha 14: Caractere 'ão é válido no
> início do nome da entidade; o caractere & inicia uma entidade; se este 'e'
> comercial não é suposto ser uma entidade, escape-o como &
>

> The messages can be translated as
>
> "Parse error in line 14: '%' is not valid at the beginning of entity's
> name; the & character starts an entity; if it is supposed to be an entity,
> scape it as &
>
> The message box which pop up only says sothing like: "Evince was
> unexpectedly stopped"

It seems like a corrupted XML file (maybe a Glade file?), can you try
re-installing the evince package?

Doing an strace to evince startup y found that open :
 * /usr/share/evince/evince-toolbar.xml
 * /usr/share/evince/evince-ui.xml
 * ~/.gnome2/evince/evince_toolbar.xml
 * ~/.gnome2/evince/ev-metadata.xml

If you had removed ~/.gnome2 as you tell in the other email, I think
that /usr/share/evince/evince-toolbar.xml
or /usr/share/evince/evince-ui.xml is broken in you installation.

--
Ricardo Markiewicz // http://www.fi.uba.ar/~rmarkie/

Thank you, Ricardo Markiewicz and  Luca Ferretti!

I had tried before to reinstall Evince. However the problems persisted.

The program was not starting only when I invoked it under my usual user session. If I invoked it as root or as another user, I had no problem. Thus I suspected that the problem is with the configuration file(s) in my user's directory.

I tried the Lucas' suggestion of invoking the program by typing 'LANG=C LANGUAGE=C evince'. Evince started, despite some error messages were echoed in the terminal window. The subsequent invocation by typing simply 'evince' was not working.

Afterwards I re-deleted the ~/.gnome2/evince/ directory, retyped 'LANG=C LANGUAGE=C evince' and... the program started, without any error message! Then I tried to call it by simply typing 'evince' and... I had the program running without any problem!

Now I have the program running as it should. Thank you all for your help.

Greetings

Valdenir
Ipatinga, Brazil

---

Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
Experimente já e veja as novidades.
http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/