Re: Reflactions about porting evince to the Microsoft Windows platform

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 18:16 +0100, Patrick Ohnewein wrote:

> I had a short talk to nsh on #evince. He was so kind to explain me a
> little about the actual situation in the evince project.
>
> For what I can see there is no ongoing project to port evince to the
> win32 platform.

Correct.

> Porting a gnome app to win32 means porting all libs used by the app.
> That can lead to the work to port the whole gnome environment. An
> example of a big porting project is the evolution port.

Correct as well. (-:

> A possibility could be to port just the evince-gtk version. But that
> would not be a distribution supported by the main dev team, being it to
> different from the mainstream version.
>
> Why am I looking for a evince port?
>
> I am involved in a project, where PDF content will be distributed on a
> CD containing Free Software for the Microsoft Windows platform. We would
> like to include only Free Software no Freeware nor Shareware. At the
> moment it seams there is no real alternative to the Acrobat Reader.
> There is a xpdf port, but that's no real option for the target.
>
> I contacted Marco, a local developer who has some experience in porting
> gtk apps to win32. He took a short look to it today and reported me,
> that he wasn't able to compile evince on win32 using the cygwin
> environment and he suspects there is a lot of work to do.
>
> So my request to the evince team. Would you support a porting project of
> evince to win32 and could someone of you give us an esimation of the
> work needed to do this?

I wouldn't mind seeing a windows port of evince.  It'll be a bit tricky
in places (the DBus support, for one), but you should be able to get
most of the functionality working.  I would start by porting poppler to
Windows.  Since xpdf already has windows support, I would imagine this
wouldn't be that hard.

Good luck,
-Jonathan