Display image processing

Hello. How Evince displays the following paper?
 http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/18272005.pdf

It looks terrible in acroread and in xpdf because the paper is
scanned in some sense badly. If not already in Evince, please
add a post processing operation to the displayed final image.
The operation should change the light gray of the text to dark
black.

I have experimented earlier with a similar textual images,
and a curve tool (in GIMP) helps. I also have tried with
morphological expansions etc but nothing fancy is not needed.

One could also try to generate the outline of the fonts.
I have seen this done with a textual image zoom operation,
but the operation may not actually require the generation
of the outline curves. The method generated a higher resolution
image. The source code is free if I remember correctly.
If interested, I will search for it. It already could be in GIMP.

The outline system would help specially in printing. The print
I have now is unreadable.

Juhana