Re: unformatted text

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 16:33 -0400, Carlos Fangmeier wrote:
> Hi again Jonathan, after almost two month of playing around with
> poppler, evince and cross compiler, yesturday got I evince running on my
> zaurus.

Neat.

> I'm using the latest stable release of evince and poppler, but I did
> some performance comparisson with older release and I find out that
> compiling poppler with cairo output support the performance drop
> drastically ( pc and zaurus ), do you know the reason?ow
> I'm planning to make some modification to see if is possible to reduce
> the memory usage and increase the performance and I will apreciate if
> you could give me some advice in the following topics:
>
> - Avoid displaying the side pane with the thumbnail, it use a lot of
> resource to render each image before the user try to see any page.

Change pixbuf_cache->preload_cache_size to be 1 or 0 in
ev_pixbuf_cache_init().

> - I asume that when you are looking a page, there are more than one
> pages rendered and loaded in memory. If so, is anyway to decrease this
> number.

It only renders the visible thumbnails, not offscreen ones.  You should
confirm that thumbnails are actually a problem, and then just remove
them if they are.  I doubt you'll get significant better performance
than the current code.

> - Now I know that popplet provide one function to extract raw text from
> a specific page. The question is now if The container (or element) used
> to display the pixbuf generated by poppler for a specific page is able
> to display text?

I don't understand this question.

Good luck,
-Jonathan