Re: Some thoughts

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 00:50 +0000, Rui Tiago Matos wrote:
> Hi, LWN has just posted an article about evince [1] which left me
> thinking (as you can see on the comments) why shouldn't freedesktop
> setup a project to build upon xpdf and make it a high quality PDF
> render library (kind of like what apple has done for mac os x). Then
> it could be improved by everyone, namely you and the KDE people. This
> way everyone gets the good features faster :)

I agree that would be interesting, especially if done in agreement with
the xpdf original author.
Actually I think an xpdf version, based on cairo, is going to be
committed (or has been already) in cairo f.d.o cvs. When the cairo
backend is mature enough maybe it could host also other improvements to
xpdf.

> Speaking of KDE I'm sure you are aware of kpdf. It's quite a good
> match for evince and IMO better at the moment...

If you could elaborate on the things kpdf does better, that would be
very useful!

Marco