Re: Password dialogs

Hi All ~

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 01:51 -0500, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> I added password support to evince this evening.  I'm not super thrilled
> with how the code turned out, but it seems to work.  ev-window.c could
> use a round of refactoring to clean it up.  As per most of the features,
> only pdf is supported as I think this feature it unique to it.

Awesome!

> There's one weird case that I'm not handling now.  If you open a
> document with a password, and then cancel the dialog, we just sit there
> with a 'blank' window, and with no way to get the password dialog back.
> Bryan Clark proposed placing a message in the blank page, letting them
> know that the document is encrypted, and including a button to bring the
> password dialog back up.

In an effort to make Jonathan's life more difficult I came up with
something like this for the cancel situation.

http://www.gnome.org/~clarkbw/designs/document-viewer/locked%20evince.png

> I'm happy to try this sometime, but it's going to make the ev-window
> code even more messy, as we can now have a document half-loaded.  I
> don't know if anyone has a better suggestion or not.  Thoughts?

The reasoning behind this is this:

Assume the person doesn't know the location of the pdf file Evince has
opened.  If Evince is opened from a web page link it will be launched
along side the web browser and the user isn't guaranteed to know where
the file is located.

The person being prompted for a password may not be sure why they are
being asked for a password they may hit cancel.  We're trying to give
them some reasoning for what happened and allow them to open the
document again without searching for the file.

Likewise there is a smaller case where the person doesn't want to open
the document anymore after they are prompted for a password.  They hit
cancel, then close the Evince window.  One extra step for a very small
case to save a lot of pain for the much larger use case.

> Also, there's now a TODO file in the code.  Please feel free to fill it
> in.

Yes!  I have something I need to add already which will cover getting
rid of the first TODO in there.

Cheers,
~ Bryan