Fwd: Updating sizing

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:25:16 +0100
Subject: Re: Updating sizing
To: Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com>

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:50:35 -0800 (PST), Jonathan Blandford
<jrb redhat com> wrote:

> I just committed a patch that turns "Fit width" and "Best fit" into
> toggle buttons, as well as adds a small border to the document.  I think
> it looks pretty good and it feels like the right behavior to me.  I am
> a little concerned about the speed of the operation.  It doesn't resize
> as smoothly as eog does right now, and feels really 'chunky' on complex
> documents.  It could just be my computer (which is no speed deamon) and
> the performance might be good enough as is, so I'd love other opinions.

Nice work! Performance is definately acceptable on my box... though my
box is probably faster than average.

> If it isn't good enough, we're going to have to look into making evince
> threaded.  I'm pretty convinced that we can't do continuous scrolling
> without making it threaded anyway, so we'll have to go that route
> eventually.  This is going to destabilize it initially, so we should
> probably put it off until we can make a nice stable release, and make a
> branch.

I think the threads effort needs to be done regardless and should be
the next big item to tackle. Stability wise current cvs should be
pretty good. Postscript is probably still a bit buggy, but they are
small fixes that can be easily backported.
So, unless there are big features/UI changes that we need to handle
(Bryan?), I'll try to release 0.1.5 this week, and branch.

Marco