Re: Comic Book Format support

Paul Coates <Paul Coates ncl ac uk> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> It's been suggested I bring this up on the mailing list for discussion,
> so here goes. I have added a patch to bugzilla [1] to add support for
> CBR and CBZ files to evince. These are formats used by Comical [2] and
> other comic book readers to store comic books but can be used to store
> other image based documents. CBR is basically a rar file containing
> image files and CBZ is the same but using zip. I've made a screenshot
> [3] showing the patch in use.
>
> Is this sort of thing wanted in evince?

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I've had a few busy days here and
didn't get a chance to get around to this email.  A couple of comments
on this issue:

1) I think that putting a CBR reader in evince is Okay.  It's a little
   bit iffy, but is basically a close enough fit that I'm okay with it.

2) The patch itself needs some work.  In particular, the tmp-file
   handling is wrong, we need more robust error checking, etc.  I will
   try to comment on that in the bug.

3) Over time, we've been modifying EvDocument.h to accommodate the needs
   of evince.  I don't expect this to be a big burden, but do you think
   you'll be able to keep it in sync?  Basically, every backend needs a
   'maintainer' of some kind, for if/when things change.

Thanks,
-Jonathan