ephy-profile-migrator crashing

I am attempting to revive a home directory that's been dormant for some time.

The last version of Epiphany to run on this account would have been whatever was current about 4 years ago.

When I attempt to run a modern version (3.36.2) now, this happens:

---
$ epiphany

(ephy-profile-migrator:14877): GLib-ERROR **: 21:07:51.325: Creating pipes for GWakeup: Too many open files
Failed to run the migrator process, Web will now abort.
---

Any suggestions for debugging this?

Obviously I could blow away the old profile directory and start fresh; but I'd kinda like to migrate it if possible.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden endoframe com>