Re: Deprecation path for NPAPI plugins

Hello,

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 13:11:41 -0500, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro igalia com> wrote:

Since we're still getting a steady stream of bug reports coming from
NPAPI plugins (and the gnome-shell browser plugin in particular), I'd
like to try again to deprecate these in Epiphany. My plan is that, in
Epiphany 3.30, NPAPI plugins will be disabled by default, and the UI to
enable plugins will be removed (both the preferences dialog UI and
about:plugins). But the enable-plugins GSetting will stay around, so
you can manually enable it if you need to use some legacy plugin.

Then in 2020, say Epiphany 3.38, I'll plan to remove the GSetting. So
you have the next two years to work on a migration plan. I believe all
browsers have already disabled non-Flash NPAPI plugins, and Adobe
support for Flash ends in 2020, so this seems pretty reasonable
timeline to me. Comments?

This sounds reasonable to me. JFTR, I have been running Epiphany for a couple
of years with plug-ins disabled and 99.9% of the sites I visit on a regular
basis works.

The odd exception is always Flash: when I run into a site that uses Flash,
most of the time I just close the tab and carry on, and in some rare cases
I temporarily re-enable plug-ins. Then again, we developers don't qualify
as the “average user” profile... Which makes me wonder: Would it make sense
to allow only the NPAPI Flash plug-in for a period of time, like Apple is
doing [1] for their port?

Cheers,

---
[1] https://webkit.org/blog/8165/release-notes-for-safari-technology-preview-52/