Re: Process count limit

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Jérémy Lal <kapouer melix org> wrote:

Hi,

I was reading https://medium.com/mozilla-tech/the-search-for-the-goldilocks-browser-and-why-firefox-may-be-just-right-for-you-1f520506aa35

Currently we have a problem with Epiphany using too much memory when lots of tabs are open, since -- with a few exceptions -- each tab runs in its own web process. This is in contrast to Chrome, in which each website shares the same web process.

I kinda think Chrome's approach is the best, but we don't have infrastructure to implement that right now. We do have infrastructure to set a Firefox-style process count limit. Setting the limit to four processes would be a simple GSettings change.

Advantage: significant memory use reduction when many tabs are open

Disadvantage: a single crashing tab will crash a quarter of your tabs, instead of only itself

Thoughts?

If it's a max of four processes by separate epiphany window, that would just be perfect.

Jérémy

Hm, the limit would be independent of the number of windows unfortunately. That would be difficult to change. You could get around it by using 'epiphany -p' on the command line to get a separate instance, or by using incognito mode ('epiphany -i').

Michael