Re: Security bounties on Web bugs

On 22/02/2015, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro igalia com> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Michael Heyns
<mike bean heyns gmail com> wrote:
Hi Michael,

Are you saying Epiphany has no plans to implement support for
untrusted/self-signed certificates?

This is one of the main reasons we had to pull Epiphany from
workstations.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike.

Hi Mike,

Kind of. If you don't want to see the security warning when visiting a
site with an untrusted certificate, you should add the certificate to
your operating system's trust store, then Epiphany will trust it like
any other. Something like this should work (untested):

$ sudo trust anchor /path/to/certificate.crt

Now, to be clear, I do think we need UI to make doing that easy: users
should not have to drop to the command line to trust a certificate in
2015. But I would rather see that work done in Seahorse, not Epiphany.
Seahorse already has UI for certificate management, it just doesn't
seem to work. Who knows, it might even be simple to fix (not sure).

In any case, if you're running a managed/corporate environment,
installing a certificate manually should not be any problem for you,
and if you're not running a managed environment, you should not need to
and should really think twice before doing so. That's why I haven't
prioritized this issue. So as long as we're talking about reasons not
to use Epiphany, that's not one I would pick. :)

There are two issues with this: firstly epiphany would depend on
seahorse and the second is that seahorse needs a lot more love than
it's been getting for a while.

I'm not sure how possible it is, but if seahorse is used, it would
still be best if the certificates could be added without leaving
epiphany.