support for unicode

Hello,

I wrote a HTML5/CSS/JS application which displays some text in Droid Sans (loaded directly from Google at page load). When developing under Windows, unicode characters are displayed correctly in Chrome.

I started the application with epiphany in Linux and some unicode characters are not displayed correctly:

  • \u00b0 is fine
  • \ud83d\udd15 is not displayed at all

What could be the reason for that?

  • It should not be the font as the same one is used in both Windows and Linux (the remaining of the page looks good).
  • This brings me to the browser: could it be the culprit? (I specifically need to use epiphany as others I tried do not support some features correctly, CSS' flexbox among others)

In other words: is it possible that a browser does not support some unicode characters, others being displayed correctly (and all of them being fine in another browser on another platform, with the same font)?

Thank you for any help regarding this - this character which does not display is a crossed bell to indicate that alarm clocks are not set at home, which, as you can imagine, is a national security level kind of issue.

WoJ