Re: GSOC Conflict?

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM, William Ting <william h ting gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi William (and Yann, who I'm CCing)

> I'm excited to be working on Epiphany in the next few months. However I
> noticed in the accepted student proposal list there were two projects both
> implementing Epiphany synchronization:
>
> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/wting/8001
> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/yann_soubeyrand/11001
>
> Will Yann and I be working together on one project or developing our
> projects individually? I'm fine with either prospect, but would like some
> clarification.

Yeah, I was informed about this in case I thought it would be a
problem, and I answered that I think we could manage. We have two
options, as you suggest:

- We can have you both work on the Data Sync project, trying to either
have you both cooperate closely on the same tasks or split the work in
a way that allows you to work more or less independently.

- One of you can choose to work on the other idea we sent to SoC, a
security daemon to warn users about dangerous content. You can see the
proposal here, http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2012/Ideas, name is
"A service to prevent phishing attacks".

I think both are reasonably similar in terms of complexity and the
skills needed to develop them, so that should not be an issue. If
either one or you wants to do the security daemon and you can agree
about that I think we are settled (and we would deliver more features
in the end), otherwise if you both prefer to work on data sync we
could try to make the scope a bit more ambitious and have you both
work on it.

I can give you one day or so to talk among yourselves if you want.
Otherwise I'll meet with the rest of the Epiphany team and we'll
decide what to do.

Hope this sounds fine, looking forward to work with you!

Xan