Re: Epiphany User-agent

On 2011/05/10 11:30 (GMT+0300) Ivaylo Valkov composed:

Tech (aqk) wrote:

 My web-browsing tracking system shows Epiphany as being  "Safari under
 Linux".

 This presumably from Epiphany's user agent:

 Is there any reason you have to show the "Safari" in it?

I am not Epiphany developer, but here is what I can say and it is
probably true. Epiphany uses WebKit as rendering engine. So does Safari.
Sometimes JavaScript in web pages and web servers detect browser
capabilities by sniffing the user agent string. With "Safari" in the
user agent it is ensured Epiphany will work with such sites and web
servers when they send data based on user agent.

http://bclary.com/blog/2006/04/21/browser-detection-part-duh-will-they-ever-learn/ and http://geckoisgecko.org/ address the same problem with Gecko browsers other than Firefox. Web designers as a group aren't very bright.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/