Re: =?utf-8?B?4oCcSG90a2V5c+KAnSBleHRlbnNp?= =?utf-8?Q?on_for_epiphany=2C_=C3=A0?= la konqueror

Cyril Brulebois <cyril brulebois enst-bretagne fr> (27/08/2007):
> I've related my random thoughts about this on [2].
>
>  2. http://ikibiki.org/projects/epiphany-accessibility/

This still holds, and there's now an additional post to summarize where
I came to: [2b].

 2b. http://ikibiki.org/tags/epiphany/

There are instructions for debian users who would like to test the
extension using a debian package (so: easily downgradable to the
official package) there.

> At the moment, I'm using and developing for epiphany 2.18.3 (debian
> unstable) and epiphany-extensions 2.18.1, and the code is still
> located in extensions/sample-mozilla, where I got the template I
> needed, and the git tree (where the initial commit is the 2.18.1
> source tree) is at [3].
>
>  3. http://git.debian.org/?p=users/kibi-guest/epiphany-extensions.git

I also successfully built ephy 2.19, and adapted my work to
ephy-extensions' trunk. A patch is available in attachment. Sadly, I
only built ephy in a chroot I cannot access through ssh -X, so I wasn't
able to do any runtime test with the 2.19 series. Reports are welcome!

To install it:
  # save the attachment in a folder
  bunzip2 upstream-hotkeys.diff.bz2
  svn co svn://svn.gnome.org/svn/epiphany-extensions/trunk hotkeys-test
  cd hotkeys-test
  patch -p1 < ../upstream-hotkeys.diff
  ./autogen.sh --with-extensions=default,hotkeys
  make
  sudo make install

See the manual for the initial configuration (Help > Extensions).

> (not right now of course, it's still very experimental and sometimes
> crashes)?

I'd say it came to a usable state, so I encourage everyone interested to
test it.

> Do you have any hint on what I could implement in there, and how I
> could handle the customization of the CSS style used to emphasize
> elements? (Maybe color selectors and some fields/checkboxen to
> customize the border style, and eventually the font size?)

This area (initial configuration) could be improved but I don't know how
right now.

> There might be a better name than “Hotkeys”, too, suggestions are
> welcome.

No suggestion, so I kept it.

> Also, should I be developing against current epiphany sources only?

That's the case now, w/o runtime tests, in parallel with 2.18 series,
which I can test extensively.

> And/or already having a look at webkit? (Although supporting two
> rendering engines shouldn't be that hard.)

Left as an exercise to the reader. Or I'll implement it once I've
upgraded my current box to ephy 2.19 (which is a bit hard since I've to
fetch and install experimental packages, and I've no time to play with
that kind of things right now).

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois