Re: GNOME Roadmap - Information Request for epiphany

Op donderdag 03-05-2007 om 08:56 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Dylan
McCall:

> Session restoring already happens, but only when it crashes or ends in
> an unpleasant manner. This results in one of the most ridiculous lines
> in a user-friendly FAQ I've ever read: (...)

The thing that you might be missing here, is that in the underlying
vision behind Epiphany, there is no such thing as an Epiphany session.
There is just a GNOME session that might or might not show open web
pages. The question if there is an epiphany executable in memory or not
is irrelevant. GNOME users can indicate their preference to restore the
GNOME session at login, and web pages that were open last time will be
restored then.

> I don't think anyone will disagree, that is absurd!

It's logical if you understand the reasoning behind it. The Epiphany
"session" restore functionality is meant just to prevent data loss in
case of a crash.

> program; what if it isn't thinking how I'm thinking?

Then you should be using the address entry or bookmarks window to find
your bookmark instead. ;-)

> Perhaps a quiet little option under the right click menu for tags in
> the bookmarks manager to set them as having their own item in the head
> of the Bookmarks menu would suffice.

Well, I don't know. Perhaps Peter Harvey could tell how feasible this
would be code-wise, but I have to wonder if the gain for the average
user is big enough to warrant an extra menu option.

> Another thought there for the Bookmarks menu is that there are
> seperators all over the place, which is good in that the end result is
> fairly tidy / manageable in theory, but they are unlabeled; there is
> no telling what tags each bunch of bookmarks has. I wonder if it would
> be possible to stick labels on those seperators?

This was considered during the design of the current bookmarks menu
code, but iirc it was hard to not make it a mess visually.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen