Re: epiphany-list Digest, Vol 35, Issue 17

Hi Dylan

I think creating a bookmark program that can be independent of any
particular browser is an interesting idea.  It has probably been thought
of and tried before.  But that was then and this is now.

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 12:00 -0400, epiphany-list-request gnome org
wrote:
> > From: Dylan McCall <dylanmccall gmail com>
> > To: epiphany-list gnome org
> > Subject: Re: Using Bookmark editor as a favourites list.
> > Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:01:53 -0700
> >
> > Hm... so you like using the Bookmarks editor as a component sort of
> > separate from Epiphany?
> >
> > I've just joined this list (sorry if this doesn't get recognized as
> > a response, by the way) for that very reason :)
> > A little experiment that I am pondering is a "Locations" system with
> > some features that go a bit beyond regular old bookmarks. (It should
> > cure, once and for all, the problem of forgotten web sites and
> > overfilled Bookmarks lists, as well as help ease the pain of
> > temporarily dead web sites). The basic plan was to shove it right
> > into Epiphany, but then I realized that practically every program
> > uses some kind of bookmarks. Our poor desktop search tools have to
> > try really hard to keep up with all these different kinds of
> > catalogues... so why not just have a stand-alone program specialized
> > for bookmarks that does it all? With some useful features, it could
> > enhance the Gnome desktop experience immensely!
> > Of course, "enhancing the Gnome desktop experience immensely" is a
> > long way off; this is an Experiment. (Err... don't let your hopes
> > up; all I have so far is an Anjuta project file, a UI built in
> > Glade, a dream, a bunch of notes and a copy of Epiphany's source
> > code).
> >
> > So your question interests me because it relates directly to what I
> > am trying to do: A Bookmarks manager that works outside of the web
> > browser.
> > Since I'm at a bit of a loss for how to fit this all together and
> > where really to point this system, perhaps you have some thoughts of
> > your own for what is needed to make it useful?

Give me a day or two to think through some suggestions -- but I will get
back.

> > As for your question #2, I believe a program called devilspie may
> > help; it lets you create scripts that perform actions on particular
> > windows.

Recently downloaded devilspie.  Haven't put it to use yet.

--
Regards Bill