Re: Printing a page

On Dec 5, 2007 1:27 AM, Alp Toker <alp webkit org> wrote:
Magnus Therning wrote:
> Paulo J. Matos wrote:
>> Hello all,
> I think it's well-known that gecko has poor-ish printing support, that
> affects both Firefox and epiphany.  Personally I kill a kitten every
> time I print a page that epiphany chokes on (i.e. I use IE :-)
>
> Hopefully using webkit will improve the situation in the future, but who
> knows?

Hi Magnus!

I'm working on printing support for WebKit/GTK+.

This is an early screenshot from some weeks ago:

  http://www.ndesk.org/tmp/WebKitGtkPrint.png

I'm a hard-copy fan and take page layout very seriously, both on and
off-screen. I'm working to ensure that print output in browsers like
Epiphany will be as beautiful, space-efficient and easy on the eyes as
possible.

It's good news indeed to hear that there's work being done on printing in WebKit/GTK+.  I'm /really/ looking forward to seeing a more usable version of epiphany-on-webkit in the future.

I'd be very interested to see examples of your favourite browser print
output as well as any test cases that aren't paginated or laid out
correctly in print.

Here are two examples of sites where gecko printing leaves much to be desired:

http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/blog/2007/03
http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com/ (it is common for gecko to have problems with blogs on blogspot)

/M

--
Magnus Therning <magnus therning gmail com >