Re: Announcing GNOME Network Proxy Resolver

Hi,

Le jeudi 26 octobre 2006 à 18:38 +0800, James Henstridge a écrit :
> Have you considered adding support for web proxy autodetection to this
> (the "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" option in firefox).
>  There is a copy of the internet draft available here:
>
>     http://www.web-cache.com/Writings/Internet-Drafts/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt
>
> It is basically a protocol for discovering the location of the PAC
> file for a network, using DHCP or DNS.  As I understand it, the DHCP
> part of the spec should be possible using NetworkManager.  The DNS
> based lookup should work without it.

No, I haven't considered that. This programme is just a wrapper around
necko's proxy service, so it'll support anything that necko supports.
Necko has (limited?) WPAD support, which it handles internally just like
ordinary PAC with a fixed URL: "http://wpad/wpad.dat";. The problem is
that our Network Preferences capplet doesn't have an entry for WPAD. We
could either handle that internally (using that URL if the
autoconfig_url is empty), or expect the user to input that URL into the
capplet.

If you need anything that's not implemented by necko yet, it should be
added to necko itself, not to GNOME Network Proxy Resolver.

Regards,
	Christian